After Portsmouth's 85-47 loss to Fairland in the sectional championship, here a few facts and figures from the 2020-21 season:
1. Portsmouth finished 5-9 in the OVC, tied for 6th place and worse than last year's 6-8 mark.
2. Portsmouth finished 8-12 for season, which was the 3rd straight losing season and a 26-41 mark over that span.
3. Portsmouth's loss to Fairland marked the 4th straight season that the Trojans were eliminated in the sectional and 5th time in 6 years.
4. Portsmouth's 38 point loss to Fairland is one of, if not the worst margin of defeat in Portsmouth's tournament history. First time ever a running clock was put on Portsmouth due to points margin.
5. Portsmouth went 0-10 in games in which they scored less than 50 points.......8-2 in games scoring over 50 points.
6. Portsmouth's loss to Rock Hill was only the 2nd win for the Redmen in 6 years of OVC play (2-82).
7. Portsmouth's JV finished with a respectable 10-8 record after starting out 0-4. Started 3-4 freshmen most games.
8. DeAndre Berry scored 12 points vs. Fairland which was the 2nd highest total for a freshman in a PHS tournament game. (Kyre Allison 17 in 2013) Corrected 3/1/21.
9. Coach Eugene Collins 12 year record at PHS is 181-105 with 2 Final 4's, a state runnerup, 1 regional final, 5-1 regional tournament record, 3 district titles.
10. Portsmouth has lost 13 straight games to Fairland, 6 straight to Ironton, 4 straight to Wheelersburg.
11. Portsmouth did not win a road game in the OVC.....0-7.....closest game 60-62 L in OT at Coal Grove.
12. Freshman Devin Lattimore started in both tournament games (Belpre and Fairland).
13. Berry and Lattimore's scoring in the Chesapeake and Coal Grove wins was the difference between winning and losing.
14. Portsmouth's win over South Point cost the Pointers a tie for the OVC title (12-2 to Fairland's 13-1).
15. Portsmouth went 5-2 at home vs. the OVC (lost to Ironton and Fairland).
The 2021 season was the 26th losing season in PHS history. Portsmouth's all time record now stands at 1,476--805.